Website Privacy Statement
Austin Peay State University collects data and information from website visitors, with their knowledge, in order to track site behavior and participation. The types of information we collect are passive (web servers that host websites) and active (user information through forms, survey, and user interaction with the site).
The information we collect allows us to identify visitors and track the user behavior journey across our website. Most of the information that we collect cannot identify you specifically and is only collected in aggregate.
Austin Peay State University uses the following ways to collect information:
- Personal data: Names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Derivative data: IP addresses, browser types, geolocation
- Cookie usage: What kinds and who else has access to them
- Social network data: Login information for social media accounts
- Mobile data: Mobile device IDs, mobile device manufacturers
- Third-party data: Any data you might share with or sell to a third-party
Gathering & Use of Information
The following are examples of information that may be collected in aggregate to provide campus communicators, site owners, content managers, designers, and IT specialists insight into visitor behavior for the purpose of improving University websites and access to university information:
- The Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer and name of the Internet domain used to access the Internet;
- IP addresses of websites linking directly to sites within the xamfybjs.com domain;
- The date and time a site was accessed within the xamfybjs.com domain;
- Pages visited (“requested”) during this session;
- Web browser and operating system used to access a site within the xamfybjs.com domain; and
- Device used to access a site within the xamfybjs.com domain.
The following are examples of personal information that visitors may choose to share with Austin Peay State University via a website interface (e.g. an online form or survey):
- E-mail address
- Phone number
- Unique university assigned A#
- Mailing address
- Subject matter interests
- High School attended
- Date of high school graduation
The University may also collect personal information about you from third parties, including trusted vendors, suppliers, and related companies. This is primarily done for the purpose of recruiting students to attend the University.
If you have shared personal information with Austin Peay State University, we may use that information to tailor services to you, to fulfill materials requests, to contact you, or to display web content that may be of particular interest to you.
The University does not share personal information with third parties except:
- As required by law;
- As necessary to protect the University’s interests; and
- With trusted vendors contracted by the University who have agreed to keep this information confidential.
In these latter cases, we share relevant personal information with trusted vendors to gain insight into ways we can improve your overall experience and otherwise further your interest in our University.
We do not sell information to third parties.
Browsing Information and Tracking
Some websites within the xamfybjs.com domain may use third-party vendor re-marketing tracking tools, such as the Google “AdWords” conversion tag and the Facebook “pixel,” to serve targeted online advertisements about the University, its colleges, its events, etc. These ads may appear within third-party services and/or on unrelated websites across the internet. The third-party vendors who serve the ads use the information they gather from cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies to tailor advertisements to you. This collected data may also be used by University communicators to measure the success of online advertising campaigns (i.e. “ad conversion”).
Some of these re-marketing tools can potentially transmit personally identifiable information to third parties and the University along with your browser history, particularly if you are logged in to one of the services while browsing the internet (e.g. Facebook, Google).
To opt out of the collection and use of information for ad targeting on Facebook and other websites, you can use the Digital Advertising Alliance’s WebChoices Tool, which scans your browser for companies that are already serving you customized ads.
To opt out of Google's ad personalization, visit Google’s Ad Settings.
You can also opt out of “interest-based advertising” by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative opt out page.
Austin Peay State University and the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation
Austin Peay may be a data “controller” or “processor” with regard to certain activities as defined under the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“EU GDPR”). Austin Peay is committed to protecting the rights of individuals in compliance with the GDPR
With changing technologies, website and server updates, and data regulations, we reserve the right to update and make changes to this privacy statement. We encourage site visitors to reference this page to remain informed of updates and changes.